Sunday, February 13, 2011

MEDIA: The World-Wide Web

Something that I have been trying to balance is my internet usage. Stimulation from computer screens have very powerful effects on the human brain. The combination of the act of reading and an electronic screen can make the words absorbed on a deeper level that of a piece of paper. Also, advertisements seen on screens likewise has powerful effects on the brain. Therefore, controlling what you are exposed to is important on the 'netz.

I have noticed that some of it can be damaging to my moods and some of it can uplift me mentally, emotionally, and can clear up some cobwebs from my cluttered attic of a head.

When I get on the internet I need to figure out what works for my happiness and well-being. A "for instance": I have found that watching long marathons of things brings down my mood. As of recently I am not using the Instant Watch feature of Netflix because of this. This means that I am not getting to watch some of my favourite shows. But that's okay because I already finished all of Torchwood. High-five for my extreme nerdiness! ROFLOL!( ...Please don't stop reading.)

Aaanyway.. What I do instead is seek out things that brighten my mood. This takes trial and error. I really thought that I liked to shop online but the truth came to me that this isn't so. It just makes me feel anxious about wanting cute stuff. I have a lot of stuff already. Most of it is cute after I assault it with markers, lace, and ribbon. I'm set, so I don't need to brainwash myself that I'm not.

However! A subtle difference is that I can research brands, clothing types, new lines by designers I like, and different fashion trends and all I feel is inspired. I think reading about the reason why someone (like myself) will become infatuated with certain objects (i.e. what makes them desirable), is more interesting to me than just wanting to own more things.

Experimenting and being honest with yourself about what helps and what hurts can behold some great discoveries. I have found that I am incredibly interested in cultural trends of many sorts. One of the most interesting cultures is actually a network of subcultures that you are reading this blog on called the Internet. Knowyourmeme.com is a fabulous website that explains memes that show up on the internet. It's hilarious and interesting.

Why not just go to the forums and chatting website that produces most internet memes, you ask? Answer: Trolls are many and everywhere on the interwebs, so I try to stick to troll-free places. Because, like their fairytale namesakes, trolls are scary and harmful.

I'll end this post with a quote from my drunk neighbor that I heard an hour ago:

"YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND!! --Some sort of intelligible speech-- IF YOU TRY TO PUNCH ME.... --more incomprehensible words-- HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!"

Sincerely,
Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment

- - -> QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, RABBITS - - ->